Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Truffled Egg Toast and Smoked Salmon Salad c/o Tria

On Wednesday C. emailed me to let me know that she was going to be in my fair city for the weekend...and the next weekend. This was very exciting. We made plans to have dinner and slumber party it on Thursday and so I braved the Septa-strike traffic to pick her up in my car (the strategy behind this seemed sound until I was actually out on the streets) then, since Duckie was already out and about, I figured why not just find a parking space and go directly to dinner (originally the plan had been to return to my neighborhood, drop C.'s bags off and then walk into Center City for dinner, but once basically in Center City this seemed really dumb). Of course finding a parking space was challenging, but we managed (stupid kiosk system stole two of my dollars and didn't take credit cards, but whatever). We went to Tria. L. has been praising the restaurant for as long as I have known her, and I never doubted that Tria was going to be great...it just took me a while to finally get there. I ordered a glass of First Drop Wines' 'The Red One' a Shiraz blend that was entirely pleasing to my palate, the truffled egg toast and the smoked salmon salad. We had a prime seat by the window, which helped with the lighting for photographs only slightly.
The egg toast was just lovely. A nice thick slice of bread with melted fontina cheese, a perfectly centered and intact yolk, salt, pepper and a nice drizzle of truffle oil. Oh man, I was pleased.
The salad was much larger than I had dared to hope, and so very extremely tasty to the groovy maximus. I mean read what was in it: Smoked Salmon, Asparagus, Caper Berries, Citrus Mascarpone, Arugula and Lemon-Pepper Vinaigrette. And the salmon? The salmon was of a pretty good quality, not all slimy and zapped of true salmon flavor...and liberally spread throughout the salad, not plopped in one little spot. And caper berries? Well, you might know how I feel about caper berries, but in case you don't: I like them, I like them very much. The dressing was also spot on. The mascarpone was a nice touch though, frankly, I would have been happy with the vinaigrette and salmon. Mmmmmmm. Oh man. I messed with these images in photoshop a lot, the greens were far more green than this.
C. ordered a panino with: Grilled Artichoke, Spicy Tuscan Pepper, White Bean and Bulgarian Feta, and seemed to greatly enjoy it. I also ordered a glass of Rioja Blanco, Bodegas Ostatu, which was a step up from the wine I drink most of the time.
It may have taken me a long time to actually get to Tria, but there is no way that I won't be going back with increased regularity.

No comments: