Sunday, November 15, 2009

Dinner c/o Chew Man Chu

On Friday I met up with E. E. and I went to elementary school, and one year of middle school, together. We also played on the same basketball and softball teams from fourth grade through eighth (her dad was the coach). I think it's safe to say we hadn't seen or spoken to one another in a good 15 years, but she lives in Philly now, and it seemed like a good idea to get together and talk about where our lives had taken us. We met up at Chew Man Chu, a restaurant in which I had been interested ever since Meal Ticket wrote it up a few weeks back. Because we did not have a reservation we sat at a large communal table in the middle of the restaurant's space. This table was lit up like a light box. We sat on high stools that made it so that the table was even with our chests, this made me feel like some sort of little person...put another way, this made me uncomfortable, as it was a weird angle and made it difficult to know what to do with my hands (the stools also didn't have backs). I had a glass of white wine that tasted fine but not all that interesting or memorable.
We shared the soup dumplings, which I had assumed would have the soup on the inside (I was excited about this as Mr. Ass has talked up soup dumplings for quite some time but I have yet to actually have one), but I was mistaken in this assumption: the soup was on the outside. Good, not great (awful photograph).
I had the spring roll salad, which was a towering pile of tasty. I couldn't finish it and asked to have it wrapped up, purposefully leaving two spring rolls uneaten for my next day's lunch...but then I later realized that I had forgotten the little box on the table, which made me sad because I was really looking forward to those spring rolls.
It was nice to see E. Between talking about our present lives and sharing memories of our younger selves, there weren't any really awkward moments that one might experience when speaking with, in some ways, a virtual stranger. E. remembered sleepovers at my house and making pancakes, from scratch, in the morning. I remembered her family's Christmas parties and all the kids being relegated to the basement with our own bowls of chips and assorted distractions.

1 comment:

E. said...

This is a lovely post. I had fun. Argh, I forget my leftovers all the time, wish I had noticed your bag on the table.

Might I also add that I noticed my posture was slightly improved at my next meal (breakfast at home). I credit the stools at the Chew Man Chu School of Etiquette!