Thursday, November 19, 2009

Little Round Top & Devil's Den

After breakfast we returned to the hotel. The relatives packed up all their stuff, we took a few photographs (none of which were with my camera, which makes it seem as if it never happened) and went our separate ways. I wanted a little more open space/tree/pretty exposure so I went to a different part of the battlefields. Strange, how the site of so much bloodshed and death can now fill my prettiness quotient.

I walked around Little Round Top.
I could definitely see the strategic advantage of this hilly area in a time of war.
All war aside, I was still happy to be out and about on such a beautiful day.
There are so many statues and memorials all over the place. Sculptors, welders and builders must have had quite the renaissance period. I wonder if new memorials are still being made?

Then I went down to Devil's Den and climbed on the rocks a little bit. There were kids exploring the insides/little cavern type spaces in the rocks, which seemed like fun, though I couldn't help but worry about snakes and twisted ankles.

And that concludes my trip to Gettysburg. On the way back I saw a lot of cats on the side of the highway and somehow zoned out at the point in my journey where I needed to get back on 76, which led to a nice drive along smaller country roads, an extra hour of NPR podcasts and a renewed commitment to paying attention to the world around me.

C. just shared this with me and I liked it so much I wanted to share it with all readers:

"True story: one time I was with my cross country team at Gettysburg, and while we were warming up we were running around the monuments and what not, and one of my teammates said, outloud, "I wonder how they were able to fight a war with so many monuments all over the place."

This makes me smile.

No comments: