Monday, November 23, 2009

Oysters with C. and T. c/o Sansom Street Oyster House

The Friday before last C. was back in Philly to help her father with a project he's doing for U Penn's new music building. We made plans to meet up at Sansom Street Oyster House after they completed their work for the day, and I completed mine. Turns out that they were done a bit before I was, but held off from noshing or martini-ing (anything can be a verb!) until I arrived about half an hour later, for which I am grateful. I ordered, as I usually do, a dirty martini, which was refreshing and delicious (though I did have to ask for it to be dirtier...a running theme for me). We each ordered a dozen of the 'buck a shucks,' which were of the Great Bay variety if I recall correctly. We sat at one of the corners of the oyster bar, which gave me good enough light for photographs, and all of us a great view of the shuckers and myriad couples making out all around us. Truth: there were at least three couples at various points of the bar/evening that were really taking 'public displays of affection' quite seriously. I'm not sure I've seen such grabby, kissy nonsense since high school.

At one point, one of the women involved in the serious canoodling fell out of her chair. C.'s dad had a better view of this and said that the dude part of the couple just sort of sat there and looked at his date on the floor. Then he drew this picture (her dad, not the dude).
Then I thought it might be nice to get a photograph of C. and myself, but it didn't entirely work out. Here are the two, out of a series of many, that are the best.

It was a lovely evening. It was the second time, technically speaking, that I had met C.'s father, the first of which being the afternoon of our college graduation...but that was, I'm pretty sure, for about half of a split second in between meeting so many of my friends' parents and family members that it hardly even counts. All to say that it was quite nice to get a better sense of this father figure of C.'s, of whom I have heard so much throughout the years. Two martinis, a dozen oysters, and one beer later and I was back home by 9 pm. Thanks to both for the lovely company and evening (not to mention the oysters and booze:)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

You don't attribute this to the purported aphrodisiacal (sp?/is that even a word?) properties of the mollusks, do you?

PS Hanging out with old college chums is funfunfun!

April said...

The first two pictures remind me of New Orleans. Must be the booze and the oysters. :)

cc said...

I considered the supposed sex-drive increasing properties of oysters, but that hardly explains how someone, just moments before lustful, would then simply look at the object of their affection as they were sprawled out on the ground. If you know what I mean. Some of these people hadn't had a single oyster and hands were on hips and lips and whatnot.

Tom Schulz said...

Don't forget that the staid Kervorkian couple seemed immune to all the shenanigans twirling all about them. Maybe they were immune to the purported qualities of the mollusks.
It was a lovely evening.

j, foodie blog enthusiast said...

you like making us wait for your thanksgiving recap, huh?

best thing i had this year was the same as always -- the antipasto platter! that's what you get when you're dealing with 100% italian family. shows up at every holiday. cured meats, olives, cheeses etc as far as the eye can see!

waiting to hear about your favorite dish! hope all's well.

cc said...

i mean, i don't really like making you wait, but i'm glad that you are :)

I got a new camera...and it is too new for my old computer, so i got a new computer...but it hasn't arrived yet. So I switched over to the new camera after the oyster night, but have no way to get those photos.

soon, i hope, soon.