Wednesday, November 18, 2009

OSU versus Penn State c/o Gettysburg Eddie's

After my tower climb and battlefield drive-by, I went on over to a new business in Gettysburg called Gettysburg Eddie's. It was my job to snag a table with a good television view for the OSU Penn State game that would be happening a little later (the relatives were still at the Gettysburg game). Eventually we all came together and ordered a number of extremely not-good-for-you-but-tasty appetizers. These appetizers included a spinach and artichoke dip that was mainly spinach and cheese.
Spicy fried pickles (I didn't really pick up on their spiciness but K. and my aunt L. did, so I guess there was a kick?).
And bacon and cheese loaded potato skins. We each had two beers while watching the first half of the game and eating on this food. The bill? $26. Amazing.
At half time, L. felt a headache coming on and thought it best to return to the hotel for a little rest. We all went back, watched the rest of the game and then E. K. and I went to Tommy's to see our cousin F. and his wife. K. and I shared a small pizza. I am a sucker for mushrooms, but these mushrooms were out of a can and not pleasing to me. Have you noticed that the first three places I ate in Gettysburg all had men's names in their titles? I did. I'd like to get Ernie, Eddie and Tommy together and see what they create...except that I think they're all dead.
After our dinner, we returned to the hotel (best in Gettysburg according to my well-researched forays into other options...wait, that's not true, I have been coming to this hotel since forever, and the one other hotel I stayed in was not at all superior). K. and I then went over to the on-site Appalachian Brewing Company bar and had a few pints while playing Rummy. Here is a note K. wrote me at one point. It warmed the cockles of my heart.

4 comments:

nc catherine said...

Ok I am going to have to rethink the fried pickle thing. We have them here in the south, where we deep fry any and every thing. Our fried pickles are the sliced ones, and a large mess of them in a basket is quite nice, or nasty if the batter is gummy and gooey. I had often wondered about the merits of deep fried spears and whether anyone did such. Apparently up there in Yankee land, they do.

When you are here next, we shall eat fried pickles our way. Sliced with a thin batter coating. And we shall eat onion rings. And maybe cheese fries. Then you can call me an ambulance and just take me on over to the ER for angioplasty!!!!!!!!!!!

j, foodie blog enthusiast said...

i haven't truly laughed at something i've seen on the interwebz for a few days now. that heartwarming note has broken my no-laugh streak! love it.

oh, and now i'll have to hunt down some fried pickles for my own research purposes. where i shall find such things on long island, i do not know!

cc said...

Oh man, the Red Hook Diner, in Red Hook, New York, does great fried pickles. It was there that I had my first. In Tallahassee there's a place called Barnacle Bill's, and they do the individual sliced pickles...they were okay, but not half as satisfying. Yes, I will have to try your Greensboro version. I don't care for onion rings, but I can get behind a basket of cheese fries, oh yes I can.

J. Foodie, I'm glad I can bring the laughs while also warming my own heart, it's the best of both worlds! Tell Kurt to take you to the Red Hook diner to get your pickle on. That sounded mildly dirty.

Bill Wills said...

Glad you enjoyed our restaurant :)

We are currently offering coupons worth over $25 in free meals to people who sign up for our mailing list.

Perhaps another reason to visit Gettysburg ;)

http://gettysburgeddies.com/newsletter.html