Thursday, January 22, 2009

Brunch in Greenpoint c/o K. & J.

After completing my work and spending a little more time with L., I headed on over to Greenpoint to eat some brunch prepared by K. In a strange moment of strangeness I managed to see B. on the G train platform as I, on a G train, pulled away from the station. B., a friend from high school who no longer lives in NYC, and I just stared at each other as we got farther and farther away. I was glad, when I emerged from the subway, to receive a message from her confirming my non-crazy status. Too bad that's the closest we got to one another ;). K.'s brunch consisted of mimosas, creme brulee French toast and balsamic potatoes/brussels sprouts...and a taste of a very tender pork dish he had made earlier in the week.

It was all quite tasty. I envy K. his kitchen island. Afterwards we played about nine million hours of cards. I don't think I won, but that's okay.
This was also the night that a person from my past called me on the telephone (you know, as opposed to on the street or on the shoe horn). You ever have those people? People you've lost along the way, and not without a modicum of bitterness or hurt feelings? Well, this person would certainly, absolutely, qualify as such a lost person and to hear his voice and speak to him (without bracing myself for my own tears or his recrimination) was refreshing, if odd. I couldn't help thinking how much more his phone call would have meant to me a few years earlier (we haven't spoken in, gosh, six-ish years). Nonetheless it added a little narrative flair to my weekend and made me feel like things have balanced out. Though it stirred up a whole range of conflicting emotions, memories and sentiments, I am glad that it happened.

No comments: