Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Brunch c/o Ed's Lobster House

The next morning M. and I went to brunch. We brunched. We had a meal that could have been breakfast...but could have been lunch. Well, in our case much more lunchy than breakfasty. I wonder, was it lunch? Did I consider it brunch because I had a virgin bloody Mary? I've realized I don't actually need the vodka in this morning beverage. The true draw is the horse radish and, in some cases (not this case), the olives or other pickled condiments that accompany a bloody Mary (Bloody Mary?) with the notable exception of celery. I have never understood the appeal of the vegetable? Root? Stalk? I was the kid who licked the peanutbutter out of the celery. The strings? Ugh. Celery is only good for a bloody mary as well as it can stir and be put aside. There. Now you know how I feel about the brunch (lunchy brunch) beverage of a Bloody Mary (if I could only commit to one way of writing the name of this drink).
You may be appalled or amazed by the number of oysters I have been consuming of late. I do not believe I wrote down the kinds of oysters I had. I think M. recommended the Battlefields? And perhaps Stingrays. Yikes. I'll try to find the receipt.
I tried the lobster roll because I was told that it was the best in New York City. It was really expensive. The quality and portion of lobster meat was certainly generous. The fries were hot and crisp, the side of pickles was original if, perhaps, not really my thing. The actual roll was toasted and crackled with saturated buttery crumbs. It was r-i-c-h, rich. The lobster meat was tender and seemed to be perfectly cooked; whole pieces instead of only a mush of shredded lobster meat. Its dressing, pleasing in a not overly spiced or flavored kind of way. While I do not feel a complete chump for spending $27 for a lobster roll, I don't think I'd spend as much for another in the future. Well, maybe I would.
M. had the mussels. She found them quite delicious if I understood correctly.

No comments: