Friday, January 23, 2009

Brunch c/o Aqua Grill

On Sunday I headed into Manhattan for brunch at Aquagrill. During our late night gab session, L. and I suddenly realized how excellent an idea it was to get oysters together. Years back, in college, I almost forced L. to come with me ( I was visiting her on Long Island) while I had a few oysters...she was disgusted by the whole thing. But! Things have changed! She's on board! So after learning that the Grand Central Oyster Bar is closed on Sundays, we settled on Aquagrill as our brunch spot. I went there three or so years ago with M., A. and S. and fondly remember the sybaritic dinner and subsequent Belgian ales of that night (unfortunately this was during the great camera scourge of 2006, so no photographic evidence exists). I started with a virgin bloody Mary.
Then a dozen oysters: 2 Sisters Points (plump and sweet), 2 Malpeques (briny but good), 2 Mill Points (I made no note, thus can tell you very little...which suggests I didn't fall deeply in love with this oyster), 2 Duxbury (another plump oyster with a clean finish), 2 Ninigrets (I have a star by it but no description) and 2 Kumomotos (one of my all time favorite oysters).
I also had a brunch appetizer, the crispy salmon skin salad with warm exotic mushrooms, roasted garlic and greens. It was quite nice. The skin's texture and taste paired with the warmth of the mushrooms and fragrance of the garlic was quite delightful.
And a nice cappucino to round off a lovely, if whirlwind, day and a little in NYC.

No comments: