Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Santorini Restaurant

Last night the boyfriend, a writing friend and I went to Santorini Restaurant for an early dinner. The boyfriend and I had perused the menu via the internet, so we came in with a fairly good idea of what we wanted to get. The friend in question had been to the restaurant before, so she, too, did not get too overwhelmed by the menu.
We started with the Village Salad...large chunks of cucumber, tomato and onion tossed in a vinaigrette with olives, pepporoncini (?) and feta cheese along the sides or on top. The feta was particularly satisfying. I, once again, wished for more olives but that didn't happen. The tomatoes were very much of the winter variety. I would give this salad another shot in the summer. We also had saganaki, lit on fire of course and taramasalata (I just murdered the spelling of this absolutely delicious spread). I tried to decide between the seafood combination platter and a whole red snapper cooked 'Greek style'...I went with the combination, white fish fillet, one baked oyster, one baked clam, two butterfly shrimp and a lobster tail. It was a hearty meal and very buttered up. If I went back I think I would go with the snapper...I have feeling it would have had more variety in terms of spices/taste. We shared a bottle of Retsina wine...not as piney as some we've tried...and were too full to try any of their gorgeous desserts. The only down side was waiting twenty minutes (maybe more) for the check.

No comments: