Sunday, September 25, 2011

Bagel and Brooklyn Costco

We weren't quite as ambitious with our late night-itude as we had been the last year, which meant I was asleep by two on Saturday, which, in turn, made it not such a surprise that I was up by 9 on Sunday. As often is the case at L. and Fat T.'s I went out into the world while they slept and got myself a bagel from Mocha Bagel. I ordered an everything bagel with green olive cream cheese and enjoyed half of it well enough, but not enough to consume the entire thing. I miss the bagel factory.
Then L. and I put ourselves together and went to the Brooklyn Costo - land of the magnetic elevators. While L. had a proper list for things she needed, I was more of a 'if I see something sparkly maybe I'll get it' mindset. So, in the end, I walked out of Costco with a $6 bag of WASABI DORITOS, a rack of lamb and a thing of salmon burgers. Obviously. If anyone has recommendations on shredders, let me know because I think in order to become a proper member of society and remain identity intact/slightly less of a clutter monster, I need to get one.
After our return to Costco I briefly hung around before packing up my foodstuffs and self and heading back to Philly. The end.

Wait! I forgot such an important thing. When my second faux 30th birthday party at the beach was canceled because of Hurricane Stupid Irene, this meant that I couldn't see L. or Fat T. as well as K. and J. And L. kept telling me that she had a present for me that she was going to give me at the beach, and I believed her because why would she lie. But I always get scared when someone repeatedly tells me they have a present for me because it means they're pretty excited about it, and that they think I'll be pretty excited about it. And that makes me worry that I won't be excited about it and then I'll have to feign excitement, and well you see how that might get a little weird (mainly in my brain). So when I arrived and L. ushered me towards a bag with a box in it...I didn't know what to expect. But you know what it was? It was magic times. You see, I have a bit of an obsession with a scent and wanting to smell like it but have been unable to find it for quite some time. The first brand of this smell was Eau Vert (which was probably a more pine-oriented scent than I actually remember it being), and I purchased it at a store in Takoma Park, Maryland when I was in college. Then, when that ran out, I found a similar scent at Basic French in Red Hook, New York. But when that ran out, I couldn't find anything that captured the smell I really wanted: verbena. Something not manly, but clean and citrusy without too much sweetness. Whatever, the thing about writing about smells is that it's difficult. The point is that L. knew about my ongoing quest for the right smell....and found this....and gave it to me....and it is perfect!
I'm going to put some on right now, even though I'm in full schlub/clean your room mode. Just so I can bask in its perfection and properly express gratitude to L. for a present that was most exciting and that I didn't have to fake my feelings for whatsoever. And another interesting thing is that the last time I went to Brooklyn I purchased Theme's Seashell eau de parfum...and liked it, but found it a little musky. But! When I spray a little of the theme on one wrist, and a little of the verbena on the other than gently rub together the result is pleasing. At least to me. I haven't really noted any uptick in people complimenting me on how I smell, but I can compliment myself well enough.

So all to say: Do not doubt L. when she says she has a present for you. And verbena is the bestest. Yay! Thanks.

1 comment:

nc catherine said...

Oh the quest for good smells!

Oh the less fun quest for shredders. A theme here...

I got one at Office Depot and it lasted 8 years more or less. Got another more powerful one, yeah go crosscutters, at um well yeah Costco...so far it runs merrily and stops itself when I have nothing else to feed it. Clearly do not feed your tie into it or let small-fingered babies play on it.

Yours in shredding, NC C