Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Drive Away From Berryville

It was a beautiful day as I left the monastery, but it strangely got gloomy and cloudy with every mile between me and it. Still pretty, just a little ominous. Seriously. By the time I got back to a major highway it was drizzling, and I experienced a terrible traffic jam on 695 outside of Baltimore that coincided with terrible rain. But never you mind that. Look at this church that doesn't seem to be in use any more. It somehow reminds me of Alice's Restaurant. I could fill that place up with trash no problem.
This guy was just walking along the road, doing his own thing.
Right after this photograph a truck started tailing me so I pulled over to let it pass. It had a confederate flag in its window and made a big show of zooming off so that it disappeared from sight within thirty seconds of passing me.
This house doesn't look to be in good shape, but damn it makes a pretty picture.
Just as you turn off a slightly more major road, you see this house. You might notice that the board in front of the door reads 'condemned.' What you can't notice because I felt weird getting any closer, is that there was laundry strung on ropes between two nearby trees. Sort of a mixed message: condemned, but we still do our laundry here. Or something.

1 comment:

nc catherine said...

Oh gosh what a pretty Princess Anne sort of cottage, condemned or not.

I always give way to trucks, especially those with confederate flags. And I am down here in Nawth CarO LI na. That is how we say it.