Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Reunion Part 3

On Saturday morning I returned to George School campus in time to hear Carolyn Waghorne give a talk about her efforts to spread awareness about meningitis, specifically meningococcal meninigitis. She recounted how she came to help found the National Meningitis Association...a story that has its own share of humor, coincidence and loss. Her talk was far more meaningful than the dance in her son's honor the night before.
Ah memories.
At the end of her talk, the majority of the attendees continued to the meeting house where Carolyn, and two G.S. alumni were presented with awards for their contributions to the school. J., S. and I sat up in the balcony.
The school charged $12 for crappy sandwiches and I was having none of it. So I walked to Summit, just as I did in my youth, and bought an Einstein's bagel. I swear the bagels have gotten smaller.
After a lot of sitting and standing around the class of '99 gathered for our class reunion photograph. Afterwards we walked to George School's iconic tree and had a short meeting for worship.

A. sang to open and close the meeting. A few people spoke about how much the school, and the friendships they made there, mean to them.
A dinner/drinks/dancing was planned for us in New Hope that evening. I had never committed to a place to stay, which, by Saturday afternoon, struck me as really unwise. S. was nice enough to let me jump onto his bed and breakfast bandwagon. When he/we checked in the lady said she was going to upgrade us, and so we ended up having our own 'terrace'. We had some time before the dinner etc so we drank too much coffee on the terrace.
This is S. with a giant map and confused expression on his face.
I have plenty of thoughts about the reunion and all the faces I saw, but I don't really have the patience to write any of them down.

No comments: