Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Dim Sum c/o Good Fortune Part Who Knows!

On Sunday my parents, B., D. and I went to Good Fortune for dim sum. As any good follower of my blog would know, I've been a frequent dim-summer for some time...but have you ever wondered why? Of course not, you know that this stuff is freakin' great, so of course I would love it. That said, dim sum was a large part of my childhood...or at least as I remember it...no, I really think that's true. My parents and I first started going to Dynasty across from Wheaton Plaza...back when Wheaton Plaza was waaaaaay smaller than it is now. Then we went to another place on Georgia Avenue (China something) and then we went back and forth between 'China Something' and Good Fortune. By the end of our days in Maryland it was pretty much Good Fortune all the time...which is probably just as good since, when I drove past 'China Something', I found out that the other restaurant is now a laundromat (sad face).
It was great that, when we walked in, the same man I remember meeting us and sending us out to a table was still there. If he's not the owner, I don't know what his deal is. He looked the same, just older. I had a small little, tiny hope that he would magically recognize me/us...and we'd have weird 'oh my I remember you when you were this big type moment'...but it's been at least a million years since we've been and we weren't such regulars that he would have known us...point is that I liked the continuity and that they were clearly doing well.
They had all the standards, shu mai, shrimp dumplings etc...but they also had the dumpling below: some sort of magical meat and...and...and...cilantro! Oh my. I do love me some cilantro and I think this was the first time I have ever had a cilantro dim sum dumpling. I will inform Philadelhphia upon my eventual return.
The sticky rice wasn't all that, to be honest. The Furama/Chicago sticky rice is still the bestest I've ever had.
This was an egg roll/spring roll type thing. It may have had cilantro as well. I liked it, I liked it a lot.

No comments: