Monday, May 11, 2009

Reunion Part 1

While the majority of reunion activities weren't going to begin until Saturday, there was a dance choreographed in honor of Carter Waghorne on Friday that I felt I should attend. An evening of drinks and conversation was also scheduled for the class of '99. So I wasn't the only one showing up on George School's campus a little earlier than absolutely necessary. J.D. flew into Philly on Thursday and stayed at my place for the night before going up to Newtown earlier Friday morning...which was nice because then I knew that at least one person I knew would be on campus when I arrived. This worked out well, as he was speaking to R. (a G.S. teacher and friend) in a central location. This location worked out well as J. arrived with her two kids. I did an awkward uncomfortable dance for the first two hours of my time on campus, itching to leave or hide or something. But this is, I think, natural, and it faded a little as the hours went by.
And then N. and L. arrived.
And hugging was all around.
The numbers grew as the dance's time approached and we all moved on over to the memorial seating area built in Carter's honor.
A. and N. all seeing each other for the first time in forever.
The dance itself was a little less than stellar. It did not evoke any real emotions in me...and after speaking to a few other friends I feel relieved to know that I wasn't alone in this lack of connection. When the dance ended, those of us who had assembled to see it stood around on Red Square for a while, chatting it up and whatnot. Here is a colorful photograph of J.D. and myself.
And that ends the first part of my high school reunion story.

No comments: