Friday, May 29, 2009

Mum Mum Mummy Cat Cat

Yesterday J.D. stopped by and told him of my plan to not use the internet for two days. Epic internet fail. Here I am, blogging. Definitely internet contact right here and now. I have all these photographs that I want to put up and to delay, well, to delay doesn't seem to be an option in my brain. I like the idea of being disconnected, of having to rely solely on myself for entertainment and to live without caring about any possible email I might miss, but the fact is that I'm a weak one. Unless the things I am most used/addicted to truly are absent, I will use them. This has been true for so many things: cheese, beer, cigarettes, couches, washer/dryers, cable television, potato chips, goo goo clusters...pretty much impossible for me to resist.
I went to the library yesterday and checked out six books in an effort to say no to satellite television and the internet. We'll see how that goes. I've also actually seen a way out of the murky mess my novel has become...or a way to sink deeper into it, I'm not sure. The problem is, and has always been, my immense lack of discipline and responsibility. So I have an idea on where a character could go/end up, but if I don't write it out and work with it, then it's just one more idea in an overflowing basket of unrealized potential. Whooee, I sure got up and out of bed with a few things on my mind.
These pictures are of a mummified cat that J.'s husband V. and his father found while they were doing something with the foundation of an old house. V.'s dad said that judgng from the angle of the body, the cat must have died in distress, perhaps hanging from an electrical wire. They figured it probably happened when the house was originally built in the 1800s, if I understood correctly, which it's possible I didn't (were there such things as electrical wires in 1800s houses...hello ignorance). Either way, I thought it was pretty cool.

Speaking of live cats. Zul was a champ on the drive to Virginia for the most part. I tranquilized him an hour or so before we left in an attempt to keep him calm and collected so that no car crash would be part of our future. And it worked! While in Virginia he had to stay out on J. and V.'s deck and/or in their garage since V. and G. are allergic. I was a little worried about what this would do to Zul's psyche and I do not think he came out unscathed, but he's doing pretty well now that we're in Sewanee. That said, he did also just puke and I am going to go get him some frontline and heart worm medication because I don't trust him not to eat infected bugs/mosquitoes not to want to get a piece of him. Also the kitchen had a bit of an ant problem when I got here so I've been putting out ant killer but with an eye towards keeping Zul from ingesting any of it. Stress results, of course.

2 comments:

seth said...

that cat will haunt my nightmares.

cc said...

booogity boogity!