Tuesday, March 10, 2009

A Little Spiced, But Not Spicy, Soup

On Sunday I turned the roasted chicken into soup. I did this as I often do:
1. Pick as much of the meat off as possible.
2. Throw the carcass, whatever it may have been stuffed with (in my case: onion and mushrooms).
3. Cover the carcass with as much existing chicken stock you might have and then, if it is still exposed with additional water (or, if you're not like me and you don't have homemade stock in the freezer, just cover the carcass with water).
4. Simmer, simmer, simmer, simmer, and simmer some more.
Once I had the stock, I took a little more than half and froze it (this means its now twice the chicken stocky goodness as it was before!). After that I added carrots, the chicken meat, diced tomatoes, corn and frozen okra and let that all simmer. I also added three dried smoked peppers, salt, pepper and something else, but I forget what it was.
My last addition was a helping of egg noodles. It became my lunch and/or dinner for a portion of the week that followed.

No comments: