Sunday, March 15, 2009

Maple Sugar Day With J. and S.

Last Saturday was phenomenally warm and happy-inducing. I awoke and knew that some sort of walk needed to happen, so I called J. and suggested a walk in Fairmount Park. But she wasn't home, so I figured I could take a walk in the city instead. Except that, after crossing the Ben Franklin Parkway, I realized I wasn't really in the mood for asphalt...so I turned around, went to Book Haven, bought three books and returned home for an afternoon of reading on the deck. I returned home and got myself situated, spoke to my mother for a bit and then, whilst speaking with her, J. called. J.'s message mentioned her intention to go to Forbidden Drive with S. to participate in Maple Sugar Day. This event, she said, included a tree tapping demonstration and maple sugar candies, she continued...but she had me at maple sugar candies and so I hung up without listening to the rest of the message in order to call her that much more quickly. The rest of the message turned out to be an invitation for dinner as well as this activity. I happily accepted on both counts. So, that's what happened. Except we didn't really get that involved with the event.
We walked up a steep hill to the 'treehouse', where we saw some kickass water turtles and sure signs of spring in the form of yellow flowers...but no maple sugar of any kind.

We then went back down the steep hill to Forbidden Drive/Wissahickon Creek, which was a mud bath for our shoes. There were free pancakes and syrup, and (supposedly) demonstrations of candy making...but it all seemed a little half-cocked, so we ended up going down to the creek and watching S. throw rocks into the creek...and then watching S. walk around in the creek, cold feet and muddy pants be damned.



Oh man it was nice. And, in the end, we did purchase some candy (three pieces for one dollar...I got nine pieces and boy howdy are they sweet).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY flowers and mud and wet shoes! And rocks and a creek and wet pants and huge grins! Oh and candy and syrup. We have had incessant rain, and boy do I mean incessant, and the memories of two week ends ago 80 degree weather are um mostly a memory? Those flowers look like rue anemones, only on steroids. Y'all grow 'em bigger up yonder way? I need a wildflower hike yes indeedy I do.

Anonymous said...

Going to Shakerag myself today. Sewanee's version of Christmas!
mcmc

J said...

dude, I used to LOVE Wissahickon creek when i was a kid. Went there all the time. Still amazes me you're in the city when you're there. And there are neat old things like stone bridges and creepy colonial caves.