Sunday, March 15, 2009

A Night That Never Really Took Off

The Friday following our night at Kite and Key there had been much talk of First Friday, seeing M.'s new Old City digs and a general partaking in the night life. I dressed for success and after a harrowing drive in M.'s car (let's just say that there were more people in the car then there was room for proper sitting...and that cops seemed to be everywhere) we all went to Bookbinder's to take part in their happy hour. Unfortunately the bar was near to full and the six of us who came together couldn't find seating together. So L., B. and I found ourselves on one end of the bar, while AK, M. and C. were on the opposite side. These configurations led to quite a difference in activity: our side ordered discounted food (I had six oysters for six dollars, B. and L. split the onion rings) and one beer per person...their side feasted mainly on the free oyster crackers (though I think AK got something) and drank multiple beers, or appletinis. This unbalance in intoxication was, perhaps, the undoing of our night. That, or the three of us weren't that into the night to begin with...I couldn't really tell you.
B., L. and I then went to Snow White Restaurant for dinner...or should I say breakfast...for dinner! I had fried eggs, sausage links and fries. They were about an hour away from closing so homefries, poached eggs, oatmeal and a host of other things were no longer available for our consumption. I didn't really like the sausage but the rest of it was okay.
After our meal, L. opted to go home. B. and I were still up for trying to get into the Friday night spirit, so we texted the multiple members of our crew to find their location and went to Brownie's while we waited for them to respond. Eventually AK, M. and C. showed up but B. and I were simply not feeling it. So, instead of soldiering forward, we decided to call it quits. It was, however, a really nice evening, temperature-wise and so I suggested we walk a bit of the ways back to our Fairmount/Art Museum neighborhood, which we did. Before eventually catching a cab just south of Chinatown.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had the bruschetta, which came with fried tortilla-like items rather than crusty bread, and which therefore seemed more like salsa, but which was nonetheless delicious. I like cilantro.