Sunday, March 01, 2009

Farther Along

Our walk continued towards a graveyard where we hoped to see the grave site of one long dead relative or another...but I forget which one, not the great great grandfather, he is buried in Sewanee.
But the cemetery was locked. We saw the big fort from a distance but not any closer than that.
Then we started heading in the direction of the restaurant at which we would eat dinner. I found myself unbearably disgusted by the many, many teenagers holding hands in the narrow streets choking with unneeded goods that had nothing to do with the oldest city in America (there is a proper name for this pedestrian only stretch of streets, but I can't find it online...I will name it 'the oldest street in America that sucks your hope for a better life out of you in record time'). Why does one need to come to St. Augustine in order to buy a cookie jar shaped like Elvis' head, I ask you? Or to buy a pair of Dansko shoes! Don't get me wrong, I love Dansko shoes but, come on. So I was very grumpy, all these teenagers holding hands, all this shit made in China being goggled at like it was special. I have a few more thoughts on this matter, but I'll keep the vitriol inside.

No comments: