Friday, March 20, 2009

A Spicier Primo Hoagie/Sandwich

So, last Wednesday I met up with L. and M. and a motley crew of folks to participate in a Philly Beer Week Bar Crawl in Center City. We started out at Good Dog before the beer arrived in an effort to have a good spot for its eventual arrival. This backfired. We were on the second floor, the featured beer was on the third. So, we then tried to get ahead of the crawl by going to Nodding Head, I never went inside because the group scouts deemed the beer on offer not worth the effort or time. So then we went on to Fergie's Pub. There we sat and stayed awhile and yet I didn't try that beer either. B. and C. and R. met up with us at Fergie's. Then we tried McGillin's, but it was a complete and utter crazy packed mess, and I had no interest in dealing with it, nor did B., C., R. or R. and C.'s friends (initial crazy!) so we returned to Good Dog for a last non-Beer Week drink. Then we walked home. It was a nice walk. And though we went to a lot of different places, I didn't really get intoxicated. So, the next morning, I was not as hung over as L. and M. It was due to their slightly less-than-stellar-feeling-state that they decided that hoagies from Primo Hoagies were definitely on the lunch agenda. While I felt just fine (except for a killer of a cold that truly impeded my breathing ability), I am incapable of saying no to a good sandwich...actually, I'm sure that if it was really important, I could say no.
This time around I had the Turkey Diablo with mayo and tomatoes. All their offerings are good, but that first Primo experience has yet to be re-experienced. It's a lot like a heroin high, I would think...which is a funny analogy to use in terms of this sandwich because it's also an analogy I used that night: ie. I always expect 'a night on the town' to be a lot more exciting and whirlwind than it ends up being...but there must be some meta-night out by which all other nights are judged, which is why they seem to pale in comparison...much like a user's first high. See what I mean? I'm chasing the Primo dragon. Or something. Sigh. Heh, not this dragon though.

No comments: