Friday, March 14, 2008

Upwards

On Sunday C. and her friend were kind enough to drive me to my next sleeping location...the house across the way from the house I grew up in. This was made possible by the fact that my former neighbors are still family friends and that they were going to be in Egypt, so I wouldn't be in their way. On Monday I went to the bus stop I've been to nine million times before and waited for the bus. Then got on the subway and went on down to Union Station to wait for my train.
I had some Sbarro baked ziti....which is what I ordered back in the day when I'd take the train up to Trenton for high school. I didn't go to school in Trenton, mind you, but that was where the school vans would pick us up...sketchy station believe you me. I also made a point at each stop to pull out my ziti and make a show of eating it...nobody wants to sit next to the girl eating cheesy tomato pasta...it totally worked.
I thought a lot about writing and reading. I did read a bit of Ha Jin's Waiting. But looking out the window of trains is enchanting somehow. Not in the usual sense of enchanting...maybe fascinating? You can always see a good number of homeless people's tarps and boxes and hiding places. Lone figures in small yards. Burned out blocks of city housing (hello Baltimore!).
But then you get a little country too. And water. Trees and all that.
I kind of miss the east coast.
I photoshopped the heck out of this photograph. I think it looks a little like a painting...yes?

1 comment:

J said...

The last one looks just like a Wyeth painting. Cool.