Saturday, March 15, 2008

New York City Arrival and Snacks c/o John Barry's

The train's final stop was Penn Station. I figured I'd get off there. No, wait, that's where I was going. I called my friend L. and we decided it made sense for me to meet her at her place of employment. So I started walking it since it wasn't far enough away that taking the subway made sense. As I was crossing one street in a crowd of people I suddenly heard someone say my name. There was a surprised note in their voice and it almost seemed like they were getting swept away in the opposite direction. It turned out to be S. from Chicagoist. We stood at a corner talking about New York for a while. I mentioned that I had just spent a few days where I grew up and every where I went I half expected someone to notice and recognize me from some bygone era...mainly known as childhood...but it never happened...and yet less than five minutes in New York and that's exactly what happened. Except the bygone era was more recent. We parted ways, I met up with L. then she, her coworker and I went to John Barry's.
We had white wine and watched as the happy hour folks packed up and left. Then we had snacks, pizza and hummus.
The pizza wasn't bad. Neither was the hummus.

No comments: