Saturday, March 15, 2008

Appetizers and Curry c/o Beet

On Tuesday night L. and I went to Beet Restaurant for dinner. The decor was an odd mixture of colors and textures. Along the booths, that ran along one whole wall of the narrow space, were small mosaic tiles in varying shades of brown. Then wall painted pink with white swirls further down exposed brick was the backing for the booths. Benches? L. and I both ordered cocktails. I wanted the Limoncello Cooler but our waitress, a less than savvy server, looked blankly when I ordered it then returned shortly thereafter with the news that they didn't have it. I ordered something else instead. It had puree and sake and vodka and lychee...I didn't like it. For all the sweet ingredients in its description the overall taste I had in my mouth was sharp and alcoholly. The bite of vodka mixed with something wrong. We ordered two appetizers. The Jeep Thai Dumplings (I think that's what they were called) and the spring rolls. The dumplings were a bit like shiu mai (or however you spell it...the dumplings at dim sum) with chicken and pork and maybe shrimp. They weren't quite it. The spring rolls were satisfying, crunchy and hot and with real taste to their filling. And how I love me some dipping sauce.
I ordered the green curry with chicken. L. ordered shrimp crusted turbot with a lobster curry sauce. Both of our dishes were spicy. Not too spicy, just spicy so you felt it. We both commented on how refreshing it was to see a hot pepper by a dish's menu description and to have the food truly reflect the pepper...if you know what I mean. There were the most tender lovely little eggplant chunks in my curry that I liked very much. L. let me have a taste of her turbot and it was excellent.
The pink lights and the reflection of the pink wall made it difficult to take photographs without a pink cast to it...so the flash was utilized. I'm thinking this camera may soon be making its way to its end. Thank you to L. for the meal and the company. After not seeing her all that often in the last five years it has been so awesome to see her twice in less than 2 months.

No comments: