Thursday, March 13, 2008

It Ain't All Pretty But It's Home

I took this photograph of Tastee Diner on the walk back from Cubano's. Two of the characters in my novel work in a diner that is based on this one. When I'm writing it, I still call the diner Tastee's but if it were to be published, ever, I'd have to change the name I think. I can't come up with a single name that is as fully Tastee's than Tastee's. If you know what I mean. Tastee's used to be on Georgia Avenue, just across the way from the Silver Spring Metro Station. But then Discovery Channel wanted to build its headquarters on that exact spot...lots of people made a stink and Tastee's was made a historical thingadoo. They loaded its original train dining car onto a trailer and moved it about four blocks north. To Cameron Street. When I was a kid, I would go to Tastee's and order cherry pie and coffee and smoke cigarettes with my friends for hours. There was a jukebox and grumpy waitresses. I have only been to the new one once, and that was at least six years ago. I'd like to go but there are other food eating opps I'd like to do before leaving. But then, also, it would be good to go there to get more details for my book...unless it's better that I make it up. Ah.
Before C.'s bachelorette shin-dig some supplies had to be bought. C.'s two college friends and I drove up Georgia Avenue, through Silver Spring and even a little north of Wheaton. The entire strip of Georgia (a good number of miles) is still familiar. It was rainy.
A lot of traffic.


No comments: