Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The Baby Jane c/o Woodside Deli

I used to have dreams about this water tower. Epic disasters, huddled masses or a great deep silent pool of water...also with some kind of massive catastrophe involved.
I went to the Woodside Deli, which I had confused in my memory with The Parkway Deli.
I never went to either place with any frequency but I have a clear memory of going to one (Parkway I think...though with Woodside's decor?), having some kind of sandwich and a lot of pickles, lots of different varieties. But, at that specific moment in time, I was not a fan of pickles. I believe my feelings about pickles changed after J.- a friend of mine from high school- kept large, Costco sized jars of Claussen's dill pickle spears in her room's refrigerator. The point, of course, is simple: I wanted to try the selection of pickles now that I was a grown up. But, as I'm sure it's already clear, the Woodside Deli was not the pickle horn of plenty. What? The sandwich I ordered was massive, ridiculous and tasty. The Baby Jane: thinly cut ham, freshly cooked bacon, cheese and mayonnaise. I know. Ridiculous. I couldn't eat all of it but I made a good dent. The chips were forgettable and the pickle couldn't possibly have lived up to my expectations.
Spooky, looming water tower? Gah, imagine getting locked in that thing. I did. It is really scary. Floating with all that water beneath you, way up in the air (I imagine being thrown into it from a hatch on the roof, with a good ten foot drop before hitting water)....oh my goodness, don't you just get chills? I'm terrified just thinking about it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember the deli not on Georgia Ave. as the one who brought the variety of pickles to the table to start. Isn't that the one you went to? Did you ask for them???