Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Sunshine Cafe

The other day the boyfriend and I went to The Sunshine Cafe for an early dinner. We planned to start our dinner out with an order of gyoza and a selection of pickled vegetables...but the gyoza weren't ready, so we wen't with the potato croquettes and vegetables instead. The vegetables weren't what I was expecting. I guess I had in my mind veggies like ginger (always a staple in sushi type Japanese) and maybe some of those radishes, or carrots? Instead the veggies were primarily cabbage and cucumbers (not exclusively, there were a few radishes about) though the dish was nothing like expected, it had its own charm.
The potato croquettes were crunchy on the inside, smooth on the out. A far superior version to the fifth grade cafeteria hash brown patty.
My main meal was the tonkatsu, breaded pork cutlet breaded and fried accompanied by pickled cucumbers, a small salad and a bowl of rice.
The boyfriend had the zaru soba (should I capitalize zaru soba?). We had complimentary green tea. Our meal weighed in at 27 dollars, which is pretty good if you think that we got two appetizers and two entrees. We've (the boyfriend and I) been wanting to check Sunshine Cafe out for quite a while and I'm glad we finally did. The restaurant's lack of all things sushi makes for a different kind of Japanese dinner. Some of these dishes are on the menu at sushi bars, but I never bother to get them, so enticed am I, at that moment, with all things raw and straight up fishy. Nice place. Quiet. Food came out quickly and service was great.

No comments: