Friday, October 13, 2006

Olive Oil


Last Thursday she who has no blog and I had a little conversation about homebirths. This came up because of a pointless story I was telling about a girl I kinda knew and the birthing chair I sat on in her house. Then she-who told me a story that her mother told her about a homebirth...and (some of you are not going to like this) how the midwife put olive oil into the woman's vagina and slip, slop, the baby came out. I didn't believe this (I still don't) so we did some google searches. The factual evidence on the olive oil story was never conclusively decided. But I did find this picture that was made in (I think) 1513 and was what the medical world thought babies looked like in the womb. Just thought I'd share.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't see how olive oil could hurt in that situation, but is the implication that the olive oil was some sort of baby-birthing catalyst?