Saturday, October 28, 2006

Sandwich Stories

Most mornings I go downtown and learn some things and I start the experience with a beverage from Cosi. Because I go in with some frequency at least one of the Cosi people recognize me and remember what I drink. The other day the dude who remembers me remembered me. It went a little like this (early in the morning):

-Large Earl Grey tea, right?
-Yeah, thanks.
-We didn't have any yesterday.
-I know.
-I told my manager that I have customers who come in for the Earl Grey but it wasn't on the truck.
-Oh well.
-This one's going to be on the house.
- (no words but a 'why would you do that face')
-Because we were out yesterday.
-Well thank you.
-No problem, you're in here all the time.
-Thanks.
-Oh and have this too.
-Gosh, this really is a great start to the day.
-Have a good one.
-You too.

So the other thing this nice man gave me was a sandwich card...you know the kind where you have to buy a million sandwiches (in this case four) before you can get a prize (in this case a free sandwich, pizza or breakfast sandwich). But the thing about this card is that it already had four stamps. Nice man. Below is the sandwich I redeemed the card for, a club sandwich with provolone cheese. And below the sandwich is the unexpected cupcake I bought before my afternoon class...the fashion department was having a bake sale...and my class prospered (well we didn't prosper as much as get our sugar fix...I'm rambling).

3 comments:

Mark Lamoureux said...

There's a Cosi right next to The New School also. Could there be a Cosi-MFA program.

I like those Cosi sandwiches: they are tasty but too expensive. Unlike the New School which is just too expensive.

Mark Lamoureux said...

I meant to say "Cosi-MFA program connection?"

cc said...

I hadn't heard of Cosi before moving to Chicago and, for the longest time, thought it was a thoroughly midwestern coffee/sandwich/smores experience. I'm not sure how I feel about their sandwiches, I'm always a little disappointed (I've had two). But I'm willing to try their pizza. Whatever, that dude was nice.