Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Dona Flor And Her Two Husbands

A little while back I finished reading (for the second time) Dona Flor and Her Two Husbands. This book was turned into a movie...don't watch it, the book is far better/more subtle (imagine that). The basic premise of this book can be guessed at through the title but how it's done is interesting and engaging. Dona Flor is a subtle character who could, at first glance, seem a little dull-but dull she is not. Oh, why do I ever try to write about why I like books when I get all flummoxed within three sentences? The book tells the story of Dona Flor's first and second marriages and investigates what makes a person whole...in Dona Flor's case it's raunchy sex and the respect of her community. You should read it. I keep on thinking about trying to make one of the recipes in the book.

No comments: