Friday, July 28, 2006

Lost Luggage

You may have noticed that I went on vacation a while back. Yeah, I did. So did the boyfriend, actually. He came and hung out with me and my entourage in France. I mentioned, in one of my vacation summaries, that the boyfriend arrived in France 'sans' his luggage. This was due to his having to take three different airlines (four different flights, I think, and one train ride) to get to Perpignan. The trouble was he planned on carrying on his one bag but when he got to one gate or another they said the plane's weight limit (or something) was full so it would have to be checked. So, having no choice, he agreed. This became problematic and confused and ended with him not having time to get the bag from somewhere...the boyfriend knows the details of all of this far, far better than I do. Anywho. He tried calling them in France but that didn't work out very well. Then he came home. Then he picked me up from the airport a week and a half later. We stopped by the airline's baggage office place but it was closed until 1:30...it was 2:00. So then he called one office or another and none of them were able to help him...they said that he wasn't giving them the right tracking number, he said he didn't have a tracking number because the bag was supposed to be carry-on luggage, they said 'uh' and he said 'you suck'. And that happened for a while. Then he got a phone call from someone in Huntsville, Alabama saying they had his bag and they were going to send it to him via FEDEX. Then the boyfriend waited and waited. After a fair amount of waiting he called FEDEX and learned that the driver had tried to deliver the bag but hadn't seen his name on the address (which is bunk because it's there) they said they would try to redeliver. Instead they didn't try and sent it back to Alabama. If we're not careful my mother's going to have to go here (which is where she got a nice shirt or two and all that yarn she sent me) and buy the boyfriend's stuff. This is bunk and all their fault.

3 comments:

tobs said...

this all sounds familiar. as you may or may not recall reading, when i went to romania with team moron, northwest airlines forced me and josh to check our baggage after we boarded the plane, then wrote the wrong airport code on the claim ticket and sent it to ukraine. eventually we both got our bags back (while still in romania). mine came back sooner than josh's did, but sans camera. josh waited longer, but his bag was undisturbed. anyway, northwest reimbursed both of us in full, josh for the money he had to spend buying clothes to wear and contact lenses in bucharest, me for my camera.

don't ever let them make you check your bags, especially if you have a transfer. never ever.

cc said...

I do recall reading about your trials and tribulations in regards to luggage. I woke up this morning to the boyfriend yelling "FUCK YOU" (which is a rare occurrence) b/c the saga continues and continues FEDEX and airplanes and O'Hare, oh my!

Did you get the same camera or a better one, I wonder?

Anonymous said...

I feel like I should explain two things: First, I generally dislike it when people take all their luggage onto the plane just so they don't have to wait at the baggage carousel along with everyone else, so I feel like I should say that I was doing so simply because my first plane was delayed and I subsequently had a connection of the sprint-through-the-airport variety. Second, the early-morning obscenities were not said to anyone - the man at the USAirways baggage claim at O'Hare had already hung-up on me after I managed to get out "Hello, I recently lost a bag and..."
P.S. Toby, did Josh have to submit reciepts of all the items he purchased, and how much was he reimbursed?