Thursday, July 06, 2006

Ascot Day 3

The third day was also far better than the first and equal, though very different, to the second. That day we arrived very early to the car park, had much champagne (running beverage theme, yes) and then staked out a prime spot in the outdoor grassy champagne bar area near where the horses were saddled. This allowed us many benefits: a place to sit and keep for ourselves complete with umbrella to shade us from the sun, the ability to see the horses before betting, a place to bet with not terribly long lines, toilets nearby, champagne and Pimms cups, a seafood bar and, you know, ambiance and a lack of total assholes. The only thing this location lacked was any actual way to see the races. I won money regardless. Oh and we got to see famous-in-Britain but unknown to us stars get interviewed at the table next to us.
Breakfast, do you notice that I tried to get slightly different things every day? Maybe that's not true. At the time I thought I was going for variety.
Initially I had two hats for four days but then my mother lent me the brown one. Then I usurped my father's rental top hat (he bought his own black one) and added some feathers, by Ascot standards it was pretty unimpressive but, well, I thought it looked jaunty.
One of three seafood platters our table saw.

This is a photograph of one of the Queen's horses...they accompany the old crazy carriage she comes in on.
I am taking way too many photographs of the sky.
Action Shot!
Random famous/not famous people. The women in the brown hat was a BBC newscaster, I think. The blonde a former pop star and the back of the head man is a famous footballer...rednap?
Dinner that night at the Pheasant. Avocados in Britain are not very good.
Lamb, on the other hand, in Britain is good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

why, by jove...

whell whell whell whell...

dashing hat, darling, dashing. (it's my favorite)

m.lady said...

yes, yes, hats, food, British haters, and you look very pretty in your multitude of dresses, but really, I think you should come home. now. I have a surprise for us.