Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Getting Towards The End Of France

We went to Colioure (which is not actually spelled like that), a beach town about an hour's drive from the house.
And wandered around it for a bit. We should have just hopped into the Mediterreanean immediately but, for whatever reason, we did not.
We then had lunch at Le Neptune a Michelin rated restaurant. We sat outside with nice breezes and a good amount of shade. We all had the lunch menu, though in retrospect I think many of us wished that we had splurged for more. The menu included the option of appetizer and dessert or entree and dessert. All meals started with an 'amuse bouche' which is pictured below and which tasted phenomenal. My mouth was very amused.
I opted for the oyster appetizer, a dozen oysters served with lemon. My mother had the same. She wished that the oysters had come with that tasty vinaigrette and thought they could have been a bit smaller. I may agree. Though they were good, I felt all oyster headed afterwards.
For dessert I chose the Mozart Gateau...it was very musical.
The boyfriend and I then did jump into the sea for a bit. It was refreshing and so salty...we didn't stay for long as we all were supposed to meet up and drive home. Next time (assuming there is one) I'll spend more time in that there water. For dinner we searched for one restaurant and could not find it so we ended up in a small village near the river and great big giant hills. I had the fish soup...and some chicken dish that wasn't all that great so I am not showing you a photograph of it. For dessert I had lime sorbet that was served with a shot of vodka. The idea, or the idea I got, was that you then poured the shot of vodka into the sorbet. It was very very bracing but in a very very nice way. The chef came out at the end (the restaurant had a total capacity for about fifteen people) and offered us his homemade after dinner drinks...among them were rosemary infused, some kind of wood, mandarin and more...I had the blackberry and it was good.


No comments: