Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Dublin Day 1

We left England and flew to Ireland where we landed just in time for a bomb threat that led to our plane (with all of us in it) sitting on the tarmac for two hours. Once we finally got off the plane we went to the baggage claim area and, after relatively little trouble getting the bags off the carousel, had to contend with this:
That is me with my hat and Chicagoist shirt standing in a mass of non-moving people. Don't I look happy? I was really, really happy.
Once we got to the taxi stand (forty five minutes of shuffling in the above madness) everything went much, much better. We stayed in Blooms Hotel in the Temple Bar area of Dublin. We went to a Thai Restaurant and had the early bird special. I had the calamari appetizer and then the beef curry. My mother had the chicken curry. My father had the soup and corn fritters.


Afterwards we met up with an old college friend of my father's at a poetry reading. I ended up not staying for the reading...I was interested in the Germany/Italy game (I liked that no matter who I was rooting for I could call both teams fascist) and doing some blogging. That was day one...truncated as I'm feeling a bit like I'm tired of writing about my trip and yet I can't not finish what I started.

2 comments:

Sam said...

When ever I get from the carousel at Dublin airport, I find not that, but my lovely sister waiting for me, so although it is an unpleasant memory for you, I kind of like it becaus it reminds me of her, and I miss her.

cc said...

I wish I knew your sister and that she was the only person in that place on that day. It was unpleasant at the time but the memory is more just a funny anecdotal type thing...in the same way that the 10 hour attempt to get a car in South Hampton-while enraging at the time-also can be looked back on with a sense of humor.