Saturday, February 18, 2006

Rioja Restaurant

On Thursday the boyfriend and I went to Rioja Restaurant for some Tapas goodness. We had the ensalada de mariscos surtidos (seafood salad, see below).
Also the jamon serrano.
Queso de Cabra. And scallops that were absolutely amazing, though technically not what we ordered.
For dessert we shared bread pudding. I had an expensive martini made up of raspberry vodka, pineapple juice, champagne and some other things. It looked nothing like I thought it would.
I want to address the issue of lighting in restaurants and how it effects my life. I like a bar to be dimly lit but when it comes to restaurants I don't think it needs to be so damn dark. I get that it's to add a 'mood' to one's dining experience but really they're doing themselves a disservice. Food photographed with a flash never, not ever, looks as good as it may actually be. It makes me clumsy and not really that interested in framing the photograph, because I know no matter how carefully I approach the dish it's only going to look blown out and unappealing. Yeah. So. Right. Restaurants should stop trying to be so romantic/moody/cozy and start using regular light bulbs. The end.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Part of what really made the scallops was their being served with a little bit of balsamic vinegar syrup on the side - probably just balsamic vinegar reduced to about half volume, but absolutely delicious.

Anonymous said...

I've got to say that I am in favor of dimming the lights in restaurants - not in the interest of ambiance, but to prevent people from seeing me eat.