Friday, February 10, 2006

Foyle's War

Foyle's War is my newest British mystery series pleasure. Foyle is a detective during World War II. It seems that being a detective during World War II is harder than it would otherwise be. This is because emotions are running high and, well, there's a war. This is a series and the other night the boyfriend and I watched the first episode, in which the German wife of a rich Englishman is cruelly murdered.
Mmm. British Mysteries!

Though I have been to England a few times in my life, I still have this secret tendency to think that it's stuck in the nineteen forties...shiny cars, tailored dresses, bombs, pristine countryside chock full of suspicious working class fathers and the posh irresponsible young men that drive them crazy....I don't know, there's some specific nineteen forties aesthetic that appeals to me, not the whole bombs falling on people's cottages thing as much as the cottages without the bombs? What?

My favorite book in third grade was Good Night Mr. Tom, but I'm not going to get into that...so why mention it, I wonder?

No comments: