Friday, October 08, 2010

Mug Crack

Over the last couple of weeks I have noticed that my favorite mug in all the world, which has done right by me since 2005, has sprung a crack. When I pour my morning's hot water into the waiting mug, a small torrent of water escapes via this imperfection. Now, on a scale of one to ten of things that I should worry or care about in my life these days, this is a three. But, that said, it still makes me sad. It's the perfect height and volume for my tea consuming ways, and aesthetically pleasing as well, and yet I know this mug's days are numbered. L. suggests glue, but I worry that if water can come out from the inside, then the heat of the water could loosen the glue and invite it in to the tea, and I just can't have that. So every day, I fill my mug with a shiver of fear that that day will be the day that the heat expands the crack and my Earl Grey tea bag and heaping teaspoons of sugar in the raw will explode all over the place. I do not look forward to it, but I know it's coming.

2 comments:

Huckleberry said...

That's sad.

Apparently there is non-toxic waterproof glue that you could probably use.

http://www.gorillasuperglue.com/ToughTeam/ToughTeamForum/tabid/151/forumid/7/threadid/394/scope/posts/Default.aspx

(They recommend Gorilla Glue Stronger Faster or Gorilla Glue Dries White -- but it is a goriallasuperglue site. I haven't tested it; it's just a site I found via google. )

nc catherine said...

Gorilla glue fixes everything. It is my new duct tape, which was my mother's cure for all things broken. Altho if you buy a bottle and cap it and then don't use it for a while it so permanently seals itself that it is rendered useless...planned obsolesence. So my next bottle, I am sticking a nail in it before I cap it...or something. But I am not sure about using it on a cup, altho...it is probably fine if it says it is fine.

Otherwise, pix (and measurements)of the fav mug so we can go find a replacement for you!