Thursday, October 28, 2010

Dead Bird

So our house in Sewanee has these great big windows. They're really great for us, but can be a hazard to birds. Mom got out of the hospital last Monday and we took her home and during one of my ambles around the outside of the house I found this poor fellow, a victim of our view. Mom said she thought it was a wren, but I only showed it to her on the tiny camera screen so she may have been mistaken.
Nothing is really very funny about my mother's current state of health, not that someone would think there was but I tend to try to find the humor in any given situation. I'm not sure that I really want to write about it online mainly because she and my father do check into the blog from time to time and I'm not sure that I have expressed my thoughts to them all that well, so to do so here seems a bit odd. That said, I will continue. Right now I am in Abingdon, Virginia on my way up to D.C. for the John Stewart/Steve Colbert rally and then a quick week of work in Philly before returning back south. It's strange to be away from them both, and I feel guilty for leaving the burden of my mother's care to my father while I gallivant at a comedy rally. There's a but in there somewhere, but I don't really feel like expressing it. So what am I trying to say? It's scary to have a parent diminish physically and know there's nothing you can really do about it but bear witness. There is the hope that she can regain some of her strength, but even so, it's not something I would recommend. I spoke to a friend a few weeks back when my mother was still in the hospital, and I strongly suggested that the friend avoid the experience, which is, I know, preposterous. One cannot avoid their parents growing older or falling ill, but man it stinks. Those are my thoughts. Probably inappropriate to be paired with images of a dead bird. But that's what was up on the photo queue and that's what I'm thinking whilst in Abingdon.

3 comments:

j, foodie blog enthusiast said...

i'm so sorry to hear about your mom's health. aging of my own parents has been heavy on my mind lately. just how many meds can my father be taking before i stop believing "don't worry, it's nothing! everyone my age is on this!"? well, count me in as officially worrying.

my best thoughts are going out to you.

(poor avian victim, by the way! i'll sit and ponder why i can identify live birds, but this ID is not immediately clear to me!)

Raya said...

My heart and prayers are with you,my dear friend ♥

cc said...

thanks:)