Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Boxing Day Stroll

On Boxing Day I did some work then took a slightly longer walk around town. Slightly being the key word, of course. During the walk, a car (one of the few I saw) rolled up to me and the lady in the driver's seat asked me where the nearest Starbucks or McDonalds was. I told her there was a McDonalds in Monteagle, but that I couldn't even begin to guess where a Starbucks might be. She seemed unconvinced that I wasn't keeping a super secret Starbucks from her, which made tell her how funny it was that she even asked. Because it was funny. Sewanee is literally a two traffic light town. Yeah, it's got a little business district, and does manage to support two coffee houses (though I think Stirling's may be seriously subsidized by the university?) but Starbucks? Chain anything? Not yet. Actually, that's not true. The school's bookstore is run by Barnes and Noble. Okay. So. I lose. But! In terms of food and groceries? Everything's local. That's kind of neat, actually.
It was a sunny day, but cold and with a wind.
I entered Abbo's Alley from University for a change.
The spring in the background is right below the gym. When I was a kid the paths to it weren't as maintained, and there was somehow less open space above it (I think maybe a parking lot was built), all of which led to the site feeling slightly more hidden, something not everyone got to know about. Or that is how I thought about it then. Now when I go see it, I don't feel like it's as special. Well, it's better when the daffodils are around on your approach.

When I returned home, my mother made scrambled eggs and bacon. Here they are in front of the Christmas present my uncle and aunt gave my parents (they also gave me a great new purse that I have already begun to use).

No comments: