Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Finals, Says I-sles

I was surprised to get an invitation to the scrabble finals after my less than ideal games in the semi-finals. But I was happy to attend. The event was held in the lobby of the Free Library by Logan Circle/Square. There were relatively decent sandwiches.
The vegetarian option (the old standby of mozzarella, pesto, and roasted red peppers) was especially decent. The meat sandwiches less so.

In my first game I started with 'awaited' for 80 points and proceeded to pretty much kick my opponent's ass (by 166 points). I was not at all braggy about it at the time, but now I feel like I can be because it was a pretty definitive win...that and I got lucky, of course.
My luck ended there, however, because in the second round I faced a guy who had also trounced his previous opponent....and knew far more words than me (seems he's one of those memorization/anagram types). He beat me by 116 points. So I lost. But he won. If it were a different game that would have meant that I was second, but in Scrabble tournaments it's about your 'spread' ie by how much did you win or lose. So my spread, between the two games, ended up being, what, like 10? That's not good. I don't exactly understand it. It made me, not for the first time, want to participate in Scrabble tournaments: all day affairs with seven games played in a single day!
Panniers is what got me, it was a bingo...and I lost a turn challenging it.

No comments: