Thursday, November 13, 2008

Halloween

C. and M. threw a Halloween party out in the 'burbs. L. and I went. I didn't really know the other guests but the lovely hostesses put out quite a nice spread, which included cheese, artichoke dip, puff pastry brie (technically part of the whole 'cheese' category), pumpkin risotto, roasted pork and roasted turkey (or chicken?).
There were also cookies, cupcakes and a lot of booze. Since I drove, and wasn't planning on staying the night, mine was a sober holiday. My costume was me in nice regular clothes and a trucker's hat...there was writing on the hat, it said: "Beneath this cap is a winner". So....I dressed up as a winner for Halloween. So there.

I was, at one point, struck by hearing married couples discuss how lucky they were to be married and their shared opinions of what the 'secret' to getting married is. It boiled down to 'you just know' and 'the time has to be right' and 'be yourself' (this they discussed with each other, it wasn't really one of those married couples speaking to single girls kind of conversations, this is what made it that much funnier). While I think being yourself is a big part of most good things in life (unless you're unbearable, then it's really better to keep it to yourself) but I think those other two statements are so easily formed in retrospect. Like the narrative of their relationships wouldn't be as valid or true if it didn't start or end like that.
Thanks C. and M. for the lovely dishes.. Oh! And I met one of their friends who is big into Twilight and I think I'm jumping onto her Twilight, the movie, bandwagon. Though I don't think any thing good will come of watching this movie. Unless...is swooning considered good or bad these days?

No comments: