Friday, November 28, 2008

Saturnalia

Last Saturday A., and a few of his close friends, threw an event. It was one part theater, one part dinner, one part sing-along, one part dance party for around 100+ people. I have tried to explain it, but it may be one of those 'you had to be there' type things. That, or I need to get a larger vocabulary and a better flair for language. The festivities were held on a cold November night in Bucks County, specifically in an old airplane hanger.
There was a first course of grilled green peppers and olives, and very tasty cider.
There was a master of ceremonies of sorts (the guy to the left) and A. was, well I'm not sure what he was...the consummate host? The brigadier general? The Saturnalian Guild's guiding light? He could probably tell you, he might have told us at the time.
There was a soup course. Cauliflower soup, yummy.
Saturnalian explorers came back and told elaborate stories and had props....like this giant snake.
There was handmade/stuffed sausage. You read that correctly, handmade/stuffed sausage...for all of us.
A treasure chest of cookies.
A late arrival to the party.

These two take a metaphorical bow (everyone was standing up and applauding).
Another prop was 100 soft pretzels...I brought these from Philly and felt very useful. Not pictured, by the by, are a number of original songs sung by A. and, at times, all those in attendance...I have a few short videos.
L. and I went to high school together, and were roommates our junior year. In this picture we both have crazy eyes, but it's the best out of a series of five. The last few times I've seen her it's been a relatively quick affair or it's been somehow busier. It was nice to take a moment and reminisce about some of our favorite cohabitation moments (though I refuse to believe that we threw Dr. Pepper cans out the window...though I also have to believe it).
E.,to the right, was a year below us in high school. When she came to look at the school I was her host. I think she saw me change clothes like ten times...I could never decide what 'look' I wanted and since I lived at school, I'd have one for classes, one for study hall and one for that magical half hour in between study hall and check-in. I must have seemed like a crazy person. Now, I go the other extreme and have given up all attempts at style. It's a relief...except not really. Anyways, I hadn't seen E. since before I went to grad school, so that was pretty exciting.
There was a fair amount of dancing after the dinner and show, we pushed tables back and that was that.
J. is another high school compatriot whom I have not seen in quite some time. I enjoyed our forays out of the hanger for chats and catch up.

A. spun L. around briefly.
It was a truly special and lovely time. And I thank A., his band of brothers and his parents for all the effort they made.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW. Once a long time ago in a land far far away the boyfriend and I rode a train from DC to NYC, slept in a friend's way too hot steam heated rent controlled apartment, then with snacks and trepidation, rode a bus at the crack of dawn to the Berkshires for a fundraiser for Shakespeare and Co. in Lennox MA. Yeah, in Edith Wharton's old digs. Uh huh. We were part entertainment, part catering crew, part "you are here because you are young and devoted to the Muse," and finally, part stupid. It sort of reminded me of your Saturnalia, except we weren't the guests. Lucky you, you was (were) the guest(s).

But I think I get it, indeed, a huge make-it-up-as-you-go hoedown shingdig bacchanalian do in a wildly strange space, with strangers, and some wintry chilliness and darkness...this would have gone on waaaaay too long at midsummer, no?

Anyway, it looked awesomely fun if not a bit bizarre. And I have to ask: who made all the damned sausages?????

Angi West said...

Oh goodness Caroline, how fun it looked and tastey too!!
My weekend was not so eventful, of course
how sweet and happy everyone looked