Sunday, November 16, 2008

A Trip That Looks Better In Pictures Than It Was In Reality


Though I was sickly, I had a day off and I had a whole plan to go to Double Trouble State Park and then go to the beach. But then I missed a turn a got lost, saw some water and got lost again, saw the beach briefly but was illegally parked, and then got seriously lost.



Then I had dinner at Europa South. I had a dirty martini with three olives. My waiter's name was something like Armando. He had a way with flourishy presentation. I think he was slightly amused by the fact that I was dining alone, but in a way that didn't make me feel like a loser--which one should never feel, eating alone.
Originally I was given butter with my bread. But then I was given this tasty red onion, garlic and olive/olive oil stuff that was much better. Given with flourish, I might add.
Then I had the lobster bisque, which was-according to the menu-a house specialty. I'll say this, there were a good number of lobster bits in the bisque, they were certainly generous. The bisque, on the whole? Very doily-ridden and okay.
I had the Mariscada in green sauce. Mussels, calamari, shrimp, clams and half a lobster in a parsley and garlic sauce. The actual sauce was kind of not as good as I had hoped. Weirdly thick and not as powerfully parsley garlic, if you know what I mean...and if you don't that's because I did a really bad job of describing it.
There was saffron rice too. I had a glass of Marqes de Vizhoja wine with dinner.

And a "Portugese Cappucino" to end...I thought it was just going to be regular cappucino but it had Hershey's chocolate syrup and, after a few sips, I discerned some kind of alcohol...turns out it was Kahlua (very Portugese).

4 comments:

cc said...

NC Catherine said this, but somehow it didn't get published:


Oh dear, I have had those trips too but no great pix to memorialize the good parts of otherwise mediocrity.

Even if the dinner was only ok it all looked really good! Which beach did you try to get to? I always forget how really close to all sorts of stuff Philadeplhia is, DC, NYC, NJ and coastline...water definitely looked COLD.

Now I want lobster dammit and the resident now-meat eating but not seafood-eating teen would mutiny if I came home with Larry the Lobster for SUPPER...ooh I hear a giant fight between said teen and the newer and out of control garbage hoovering dog...and now the nine hundred year old cat voices his opinion. A typical Sunday night, unfortunately...

Anonymous said...

Hmmm I seem to be not getting up on your posts for weird reasons. Not the first time but glad you caught me! The garboage eating dog was at it again, must be a supper-time sort of thing to do.

The lobster still looks yummy....

Unknown said...

i don't have any important comments to make, just reading them. except the word verification below says, "truskee" and i wanted to share. besides that, have you been watching how i met your mother??? are you a whoo girl? i'm thinking no. i think we are both not whoo girls.

cc said...

I am not a woo girl, no indeed. Though there are moments when I wish I was...hotter? But would you ever catch me in that kind of bar, with those kinds of clothes, cheering every little thing in order to mask my deep-seeded insecurities? No. I keep myself to myself, mostly.