Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Volo

On Friday night the posse and I went to Volo for dinner. The boyfriend and I had been eyeing it back when he was still here and then Rachelle went there and took such nice photographs (how, exactly, I don't know but look at them for the lamb pot pie and stuffed calamari) that we thought this would be a nice place to try ... especially since it was a belated birthday dinner for the boyfriend's sister care of their parents....thank you boyfriend's parents for a very nice meal. Volo serves tapas like plates that you are encouraged to share. For the most part we did share but I wanted the majority of the Lyonnaise salad to myself. The lardon was thick and flavorful and the dressing nice but not smothering. I'm not sure I preferred this rendition to La Tache's but it wasn't shabby.
We also, not in this order, had the encrusted scallops with sweetbreads.
Below are the beets (far left), steak tar tar (middle) and andouille stuffed calamari (you figure it out).
Prince Edward Island Mussels in rich broth.
Cheese plate!
Overall I found Volo fine. All the plates were good but not many really lived up to my expectations. The exception to this let down feeling was, most definitely, the cheese plate. We chose from their 8 or 9 cheese roster and went with the Humbolt Fog, Epoisses du Bourgogne and an aged gouda (for nine dollars...you can try all of them for 16) and I just couldn't have enough of the epoisses and fog. The gouda was also unlike any other gouda, far more pungent and not of the soft variety. Our server was friendly and knowledgable. Volo has a large list of wines to choose from and many a flight...I was tempted by the $16 champagne flight. The posse drank a Malbec and I had a glass and a half of Vouvray.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ben and I have been wanting to go to Volo! And that is the extent of my comment.

Lindsay