Sunday, March 18, 2007

Marvelous and Stupendous

Yesterday my cousin and his wife drove into town for a quick stay in our windy city. The offered to take me out to dinner. I accepted then went a bit crazy doing research on where we might go. In the end we went to Le Lan Restaurant. It was amazing. It's the first meal in a while that exceeded my expectations. We started with martinis and three appetizers (as well as complimentary buns).
We had the hamachi sashimi special appetizer...so good...and what, what do I see? Oh yes, wasabi tobikko!
Beef carpaccio with scallion pancakes.

Butternut squash dumplings.
My cousin had the venison.
His wife had the halibut special (with clams and chorizo).
I had the tofu skin wrapped salmon...so good! Perfectly cooked with a bit of pinkyness in the center. And what's that? Oh yes, ikura!
For dessert I had the coconut creme brulee on a bed of tropical fruit.

The service was good, the food very good and the company excellent. Thanks cuz, it was nice to see you both.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to go there!!! mc

cc said...

That can probably be arranged.

Anonymous said...

You are welcome! It was a great choice and we really enjoyed the meal and the time spent with you.

Unknown said...

yowza!

J said...

That looks amazing. And of course, you were right about the Golden Unicorn. I'm sorry I've never been with you before, I'm sure it's an experience, but we tried to do our best in the spirit of you.

All in good Kwatsch said...

Caroline, how do you get to go out for such good looking eats all the time?
its hard for me to comprehend. :)
can i join?

-b.

cc said...

Anything done with me is an experience of the highest caliber. Just ask Uma Thurman. Or anybody I've gotten drunk with. I'm pretty sure that my presence alone made high school bearable for the entire class of 99.

Or maybe it's just food. Probably.