Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Brunch c/o Silk City Diner

I recently returned to Philly from a sojourn in the south for the fourth. But prior to my Sunday departure a week and some days ago, I had a few plans for Saturday. These plans included running errands in New Jersey, but first LB and I scheduled a little brunch meet-up at Silk City Diner Bar & Lounge. Though I had ever-so-briefly experienced the night-time bar scene at Silk City some months previous, brunch was an unknown for me. It was a hotter than hell day (aren't they all) but we chose to sit outside nonetheless (I think this may have been more my doing than LB's). I perused their cocktail list and went with the Jaded Ruby: a concoction of Absolut Ruby Red, fresh lime and grapefruit juice with a sugar rim. Enjoyable, not too tart.  But not cloyingly sweet either.
I was certainly drawn to the fried green tomatoes with sriracha mayo dipping sauce, and LB allowed that she would like to give it a try as well. They were nice and crisp and the sauce had a nice little bit of heat, but they weren't as tart or juicy as I prefer my fried green tomatoes.
For my main course I went with the Chilaquiles, which was a mess of layered baked corn tortillas, salsa verde, rancheros sauce, marinated avocaado, queso fresco, queso oaxaca, pico de gallo, sour cream, over easy eggs and housemade chorizo. It was kind of like the Mexican equivalent of poutine: tasty, but not the most beautiful thing to look at. The obvious appeal of the dish was the sheer quantity of ingredients, but the success of the dish was he fact that they all worked together nicely. I was sad to abandon what remained on my plate, as it would have easily been at least one if not two additional meals, but I had plans to meet up with LW post-brunch and go to New Jersey for a myriad little errands and I didn't think the leftovers would hold up so well in a 90+ degree car.

During the second half of my meal I also enjoyed a pomegranate mimosa. The sun kept creeping towards us but a nice member of the staff, once he saw me inching my chair around to the same side as LB, repositioned our umbrella for ultimate shade coverage.

No comments: