Thursday, January 20, 2011

New Year's Dinner 2011

My past few new years haven't been very exciting. I stayed home so I could get up early the next day and do work. This year I went out to see M. and A. and S. and the extended G. family. I left after work and made pretty good time until I got off the turnpike. I've done the drive often enough that I should really know the way, and yet I don't. Plus it was dark and those roads are twisty. I made good time until I got lost for 45 minutes or so. Maybe an hour. But! When I finally did arrive, dinner was just being dug into and I was hungry. I hope no one waited long on my account, eating-wise.
The steak wrapped in bacon was really just very good. Mashed potatoes were also delightful. I think I need to work on my overall appreciation of creamed spinach, but this was definitely a good rendition of the dish.
I liked the dressing on this salad.
Nothing is complete without a cheese course. A.'s father, T., is an avid cook-type. I've been able to enjoy his culinary style on two other occasions (Easter and while in the Adirondacks) and it appeals to the glutton in me.
There were also desserts, but the photographs I took didn't do them justice. Then a small glass of Scotch to round out the meal.
Just a great welcome after a rather silly and delayed run around the countryside in the dark.

No comments: