Tuesday, January 11, 2011

True Grit, Oysters and Lobster on Christmas Eve

On Christmas Eve I went into work for a portion of the day before returning home and attempting to make order from the chaos that has been our 'living/dining room.' Once I felt some headway had been done, Dad and I met up and went to see the Coen Brothers' True Grit. It was a satisfying yarn, nice to look at and well paced on the whole. I liked the original movie as a kid, and I will say that I feel like the journey that Rooster et al took in that version felt more epic. No actual hate towards the movie though. That Jeff Bridges. That Matt Damon. That new actress.
Afterwards we went to Snockey's for another round of oysters. Dad had lobster in mind but our server let us know that no whole lobsters were left. Lobster fail. They did have a good selection of oysters, including two of my faves: Pemaquids and Kumomotos. These two types of oyster aren't very similar. Pemaquids have the snootfull of salt in your nose taste to them while the Kumomotos are more mellow. I was pleased either way.
Dad and I both ordered the split lobster tails as the next best thing to a full lobster, but I think we were both a bit disappointed. I know I was. Somehow I'm a bigger fan of a lobster boiled than a lobster broiled. At least in this case the meat toughened a bit and wasn't as tender or delectable as a lobster tail can be. I didn't even bother with the corn; I could imagine the large plastic bag of frozen cobs from which it came and eh.
So. The oysters were great, and the host that sat us was friendly and nice. The lobster was forgettable, and our waitress couldn't have been more disinterested in her work. A while after we sat down a family with two grown sons came in and I overheard the father figure getting a bit snooty/annoyed when she began to bring out their entrees before the oysters they ordered...mainly because she forgot to either pick them up or even put the order in. Not awful service, just, you know, unhappy-young-woman-working-at-her-family's-business service.

No comments: