Monday, January 10, 2011

Oysters, Oysters, Mussels and Baby Fish c/o Oyster House

My father came into town the Thursday before Christmas. After I finished my work day we proceeded to the Sansom Street Oyster House for dinner. We were in time for the 'buck a shuck' deal, though I forget the specific oyster it was. This is because I ordered half of the 'buck a shuck' and half of the Shibumi...which I liked very, very much. Why is it that West Coast oysters are usually so much prettier? And often littler...I'm thinking of Kumomotos as well, which aren't usually very large, or at least not in my own experiences with them. Anyways, I was glad to meet another variety of oyster or two.
We shared the steamed mussels with fennel. Pretty good. Though I'm not an overly big fan of fennel, I still took care to sop up some of the broth with the provided toasted baguette.
We also tried the oysters fried up, which I also found quite to my liking. Very juicy still, the breading didn't mask the oysters' salty selves as much as encapsulate them in a loving embrace. Man, this is why I don't try to write too deeply about food. What does that even mean?
Dad also wanted to try the fried baby fish. They were definitely fried, and they were definitely baby-sized. Neither of us enjoyed them all that much. Salty and crispy were their defining characteristics.
Thanks to Dad for the dinner!

No comments: