Saturday, January 22, 2011

Birds and Breakfast

It was a late night, full of borrowing big shoes and tromping in the snow and girl talk. And though I didn't go to sleep until 3 or 4 in the morning, I still awoke by 8 or 9 because I had work to do. The parentals of the party were all assembled in the kitchen and quickly plied me with coffee and properly sympathized with me over my whiplashed neck (seriously that fall into the snow bank made it literally impossible for me to raise my head if I was lying down...like I had to take both hands and manually lift my head up and support it). The birds were digging on S.'s holiday and regular feed. This flicker was quite a sight. I won't ever get tired of black, red and white birds.
As mean as bluejays may be, I still like their look. I also like that other bird on top of the snowman. There's something nice about this photograph is all I'm saying.
S. cooked sausage and eggs, which I gratefully tucked into before disappearing for the rest of the morning and a good portion of the afternoon to get work done. It was kind of nice to be surrounded by others doing all sorts of other activities, whether prepping for lunch, reading by the fire or still sleeping (M.) while I was anchored to my computer just hearing the faint murmur of others. If that makes sense. Like, I knew that once I got all my work done there was a group of fun just waiting for me.

3 comments:

j, foodie blog enthusiast said...

oooo beautiful shots!in the jay picture, it's the stances of the birds that does it for me.

the bird on the feeder is a male red-bellied woodpecker and the bird on top of the seedman/snowman looks like a titmouse to me.

the down side to reading your posts in google reader -- you don't know how many times your writing and pictures have made me say "oooh, i MUST go visit and leave her a comment on that"...and then, i don't. you know, because actually clicking over to get to your blog is an exhausting amount of work. screw you, reader! i've been spoiled. but the birds. of course the birds draw me in.

summary of the matter: i've loved your posts lately, you've shared some beautiful writing and some intimate thoughts. i'm reading.

cc said...

well thank you j. foodie. for the bird IDs and kind words:)

nc catherine said...

I love the bird pix. I have three feeders going now for my feathered pals, and sigh for Squirrelnator who comes to do his or her uber large squirrel thing.

I have not seen such exotics as the woodpecker, but I do have nuthatches and titmice and the very loud and bossy (given their tiny size) Carolina wrens. And lots of lovely cardinals. Had passels of robins the other day. Supposedly they are the snow birds telling us that more snow is coming. I hope not.