Sunday, February 21, 2010

Fish and Chips c/o National Mechanics

Last weekend I received an email from a cousin I met once at a pig roast. He said he was going to be coming into Philly and asked for suggestions of historic things to do. It struck me, not for the first or last time, that I don't have any real good sense of Philadelphia. I think cities appeal to consumers. Like, there are a million lovely little shops and restaurants and coffee shops and stationery stores, but if you don't feel the need to see them all, or if you don't have the money to try them all, then the draw of the big city and its options isn't quite a draw; it's almost a nuisance. So, when it came to historic, I could only come up with the Liberty Bell and the Mutter Museum (the latter of which I haven't actually seen). He went with the Liberty Bell. After work, I rode the bus to meet up with him at National Mechanics. I had the fish and chips. Fried things are tasty. The cousin seemed well. He has an interesting job. He is an inspector of organic farms and processing plants. The next day he was going to see an organic avocado repackaging plant. And the day after that he was going to go to an egg cracking factory. An egg cracking factory! Such a thing exists! He has also gone to chicken farms. I want to see what he has seen. I think. It was nice to see him and I hope the rest of his trip went well. And I thank him for dinner:)

No comments: